Just when I thought I was done with all my shopping… oh no! One more gift needed! I’m sure I’m not alone as I think of one more person I really ought to gift something to. It’s too late for shipping (at least at reasonable rates) and I really don’t want to head back to the mall. So how about a last minute hand knit gift? I’ve found some great patterns out there that can be knit in less than a day, many in a matter of hours:
First up, a hand knit ribbed cowl. I’ve made this one more times than I can probably count! Knits up in 2 – 4 hours depending on how fast you knit and how big you want to make it:
- Here’s what you need:
- Size 13 US (9mm) circular needles
- 1 skein of Lion Bran Wool Ease Thick n’ Quick
- Stitch marker
- Needle for weaving in ends
- The super easy pattern!
- Cast on 72 stitches (if you add or subtract to change the width, do so by 4 stitches)
- Place marker and join the round
- K2, P2 (rib pattern)
- Keep knitting in this pattern until you’ve used nearly the whole skein, leaving enough yarn to bind off
- Use a stretchy bind off method, THIS one is a fave of mine
- Weave in ends, block if you’d like (not required)
- Ready to gift!
I’m using Knit Picks Biggo in Golden Heather.
Cowls or a scarf not going to work? Here are a few other ideas (all links are to Ravelry):
- Chunky ribbed hat (would go great with the cowl!)
- Or a chunky beanie style hat
- Messy Bun hats are all the rage right now
- Perhaps a simple pair of house slippers
- A pair of chunky mittens
- Or maybe one of my favorite chunky knit shawls that knit up quickly:
- A quick capelet
And there are so many, many more that can be found around the internet. As for me, I’m getting back to the scarf I cast on this morning, I’m positive I can have it done today. Happy knitting!